Thursday 14 September 2023

Remember to keep everything natural.

  
 Well actually there are a couple of self tapes in here from August now too, as I took down the original cut from youtube before I could blog about it, because I'd suddenly landed a second job, and the clip I'd used from that self tape was pretty much the entire role, and I'd signed a Non Disclosure Agreement, and I didn't want to lose the job, which films tomorrow (it's not this one:)
 
 Otherwise this has been a quiet year, which is why I decided to do something with all these old self-tapes that had been filling it. No complaints though, although I do keep wondering about going back to the moustache, but my agents say no. Oh, I've got a voiceover agent now! That other – first – job which I landed from a self-tape, a clip of which opens this video, that was a voice over, but as you can see, I still decided to dig out  – almost literally, as both the density and deriliction of my costume wardrobe have turned it quite earthy – my old London Dungeon shirt. So yes, I got to be in "Good Omens" sort of! Those who can and who have not yet enjoyed John Finnemore's peerless take on the Book of Job in episode 2 are strongly recommended to do so ("Come back when you've made a whale." Outstanding stuff.) And for those who have not yet enjoyed this, and can, here you go...
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is great! I was a little staggered by 'It's cute' guy because you were suddenly my former colleague Dan Cooper, very strange. Hurrah for more work! May this be the beginning of even more!

    BTW I have secretly been using a clip of you in Goliath Window for many of my animation classes; would it help your voice work prospects to show animation done to your work? I could chase up the students and ask if they'd mind me sharing their old tests with you; I'm sure they'd be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going for Peter Laird in fact, and thank you!
      As for seeing animations for the Goliath Window, do you know who I'm sure would be thrilled? Me. If they're happy to share their secrets I would absolutely love to see

      Delete
    2. Hello again! I have not yet been free to hunt down old students and mug them for their animation of your voice clips. But! I have just finished teaching another class, for which I animated a clip of yours from JFSP s9. Would you like an .mp4 of it, or what suits you best?

      Delete
    3. Amazing! Any format you prefer I think. No preference this end. Feel free to post if you'd rather.

      Delete
    4. All right, here's the file ... I'll be uploading it as an unlisted YouTube video in the coming weeks, but having the file, you can do what you like with it. https://we.tl/t-3MHrMqplMG I tried to do a "TV" version of John's sketch of Jerry on his blog; I'm not sure I got the essence of it, but it was fun to work with anyway! I want to do another version of it which includes the breath at the end which adds a whole other emotional layer, but had to keep it simple for demo purposes.

      Delete
    5. Fantastic. And REALLY interesting. And I can't wait. Thank you!

      Delete
    6. Thank YOU!

      Delete
  2. I still feel like a complete fool for failing to notice your being in Good Omens. (In my defence, during that particular scene my attention was focused entirely elsewhere, as is the way for all magic tricks.) Anyways, A Companion to Owls was absolutely brilliant, and I cannot help but wonder just how much John's writing of Good Omens influenced series 9 of JFSP (and/or vice versa? not sure about the timeline there). Half a glass, indeed.

    I shall spare you my very poor attempts at making puns, and just cross my fingers for more jobs - of the non-biblical persuasion - to come your way. (I cannot say I quite agree with your agents about the moustache, but of course they'll know best.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing amazing!

    ReplyDelete