Monday 29 April 2019

Kenny Everett interrogates John Lennon about Abstraction and Misery and I share it.

My mate Ollie Ford, who originally put this extraordinary 1971 artefact up on f*c*book, writes:
"This is a brilliant interview. Kenny Everett is so funny and John clearly likes him. He asks why his first solo album was so sad when he has so much and John starts to play the Laughing Policeman on his guitar and sarcastically asks if he’d prefer his next album to sound like that. There is also a heartbreaking bit when he tells Kenny how he’d like to die..."
 

I'm putting up a second post today not because I'm ashamed of the previous one - it's clearly a beautiful tale vividly told - but because I'm trying to make this the place where I share stuff now, and this is definitely worth sharing. The anarchic sweetheart who would later go on to shout "Let's bomb Russia!" at Young Conservatives on the advice of Michael Winner pulls surprisingly few punches questioning the choices of the troubled genius who would later go on to sing "Imagine no possessions" sat behind a white grand in Tittenhurst Park, and perhaps what's most extraordinary is just how cosy the interview remains despite Cuddly Ken's unresolvable problems with not only John and Yoko's politics but their art. It's all parsecs away from Lennon mucking around with Peter Cook a decade earlier or Everett mucking around with Bowie and Freddie Mercury a decade on, but there's no bad faith here, and it's fun...


Liana Finck. Here's the linck.

... Which hopefully leads me to why I'm sharing the interview here on this blog rather than on, say, twitter. Because it's literally impossible these days to go more than thirty seconds on that site without encountering a fight. Neither that site nor f*c*book are really doing what we want them to any more - which is stay in touch - and they're both on our phones now, and our phones no longer fit our hands, and I'm increasingly concerned about what's in charge of who sees what. Joe Mande posted something beautiful about leaving twitter only today: "That's the problem with most things that are stupid as fuck: they're usually pretty fun" and Rick Webb's Internet Mea Culpa remains very sound, but of course there are many incentives to stay on, because one's work requires attention, so I'll keep linking to the blog on both sites. If you've any comments however, I guess, please post below? Or just enjoy.

(If you're unfamiliar with the work and impact of Kenny Everett - whom I love - you're probably also unfamiliar with Joel Morris and Jason Hazely's "Rule Of Three" podcast - which I also love - so you might want to start with this one.)

And I'm still on instagram. Sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment