Wednesday 26 October 2022

A Second Startling Semblance, or That's Not Me In That Film

 I love this photo. This is the curtain call of the opening night of The Hound of the Baskervilles at the English Theatre Frankfurt in 2017. The assistant stage managers for that show, Mel and Meli – who helped with quick changes, and hid behind the fireplace to rip off Shaun's trousers, and mopped up my spit take in the interval  – now flatshare in London. On Sunday they whatsapped to ask if I was in the film on Netflix that they were watching. I hadn't done a film for Netflix. They sent me a clip. I saw what they meant.


 I honestly cannot overstate how accurately this resembles my self image. Only when a little research revealed that this was actually Peter Serafinowicz could I begin to reframe "Yuba the Gnome" as anything other than the ground zero of an exploded subconscious. Fortunately, that Bucharest job has just turned out another advert so I can check what I actually look like.

6 comments:

  1. Yuba looks like the offspring of you as Watson and that bunch of flowers you're holding. What a botanically libidinous closing night party that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I used to think Peter Serafinowicz's Crowley (in the BBC Radio 4 adaptation of Good Omens) sounded a lot like your Count Orloff in places, so we might be onto something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TBF I probably would have made the same mistake ... that is uncanny.

    ReplyDelete