Sunday 23 October 2022

Badphone in a Coma






 In its very last day at Canary Wharf I finally got round to experiencing COMA, the Darkfield show in a shipping container I'd recorded back in 2019. Pre-plague. I had to remind myself of that when I heard my old voice expressing conern about being coughed at in the face.
 
 The pill in the little tray lay unswallowed at the back of my throat throughout the twenty minutes. That's the problem with lying down. But I managed to get the top bunk. Once the lights went out however, all I could hear was me reading Glen's lines from an ipad. Binaural radio's so much more prevalent than it was when we first made Contains Violence in 2008, or even Ring in 2013. Like the old film of that train pulling into the station, I don't know how much longer our brains will stay fooled. 
 I guess I'm saying it was more like what I was epecting than I was expecting.
 
 I'd actually booked for Saturday, but had dismebarked at the adjacent and preposterously similarly named "Canada Water" station by mistake, so missed my slot. The attendants were brilliant, but I didn't want to hang around on my own – Canary Wharf was making me miss things – so I decided to head back into town along Regent's Canal as I hadn't walked that stretch for a while, but I got that wrong too, and turned off one rivulet too early.
 
 Heading north I didn't recognise any of the buildings, but I'm used to that. A lot's gone up. 
 It was round about the time I took the above picture that I decided I should finally get a new phone. Not for its own sake, but because I realised I wanted a better camera. That was an exciting moment. I hadn't wanted anything in ages. I used to want to make films. I tried taking some video with what I had and was happy with the sounds I caught. There was a party going on in a flat, coots and car horns, sirens, a solitary firework.

 
 And soon it was too dark to photograph anything. See? This is a whole palm tree I found discarded on its side in a weir. I definitely didn't remember there being a weir.


 I also misread the words "some peace. some time." sprayed onto the unlit footpath until I realised one e was an l, and all the o's a's. You don't get that in Notting Hill. But I couldn't photograph it either, so here are some swans I saw on London Beach on Friday. I think that's new. I guess the new King doesn't want them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment