Tuesday 25 October 2022

Sometimes this blog will be a large oil painting of David Mitchell's face that I found in Alfies Antiques Market.

 Well it calls itself a market, but I'd call "Alfies Antiques" an Emporium if anything, without even looking up what an Emporium is (although I suspect the definition is a building selling wares at least three storeys tall, composed entirely of mezzanines resulting in an uncountable number of floors, and with as many different types of staircase as possible stuck just wherever there's a space – the Barbican does not sell wares so doesn't count). I have no idea why a painting of David Mitchell takes pride of place above this particular shop, but who needs a reason?
 
 Flanked by gigantic prints of Klimt, Alfies Emporium stands immediately opposite the Cockpit Theatre, where this week we have started rehearsing Love Goddess, the Rita Hayworth musical. Tomorrow is the table read, when we're all less nervous. Today we learnt songs and dancing, and I am very new to the latter. Having just the two feet makes it easier though. I'm learning they tend to take turns, and there's only so many places you can put them, and I must now have calves a centaur. We're also doing hat stuff – our choreographer worked with Gwen Verdon I hear – and while it does distract from the feet, I also learnt today what having a top hat land on my balls feels like. It's no trilby. Still, everyone's lovely and I'm trying not to be weird. Come!
 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, "some chairs and a ladder" is my favourite kind of set design! Best production of Hamlet I've ever seen was 8 chairs, a ladder, and a rolly trunk. Pure magic.

    A friend once gave me the tip that the best way to do the National Portrait Gallery in Dublin was to play "Is This Man Related To David Mitchell?" I have yet to give it a try, but perhaps your giant portrait has aspirations.

    (Sincerely, Lazy Tealin again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an excellent game. The Cockpit also has a big old gantry which we're using. I love gantries. I have just looked up what a gantry is. I don't mean a gantry.

      Delete