Tuesday 13 April 2021

Turning Round, Coming Through a Door, Shrugging or Tripping or Something with a Top Hat

 
I thought I'd see what happened if I took a break from the blog, 
and what happened is I re-binged Mad Men.
 
 I moved schools in the mid-eighties, at around the age of ten, and the cast of characters changed around me. When I'd get home, to watch The A-Team, or It's Your Move, or Family Ties for Michael J. Fox and Justine Bateman even though I hated it, I would wonder who from this new cast would make it into the opening credits, and what two or three things they'd be shown doing, and what two or three things I'd be shown doing, if I made it in. I don't ever remember thinking of myself as the star of whatever this was. I only stopped thinking about this when shows stopped doing it – although it was probably still echoing around my head when I shot Mirrorboy – and being suddenly reminded of how formative the idea of a three-shot portrait had been to my childhood social aspirations is one of the reasons I love this Mad Men fan video so much; but there are many others. 
 How would you have popped up?

2 comments:

  1. Mine would be coming in a room carrying an elaborate cake or cooked dish, only to find everyone's squabbling and nobody's even noticed me. I shrug, looking exasperated but fond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a starring scenario right there. That's a closer!

      Delete