Monday 30 December 2019

I made a video to honour the passing today of Neil Innes and Norma Tanega. It is very bad and at the bottom of this blog.


Goodbye and thank you, Neil Innes. Here's three of you, offering superb advice on how to avoid extinction in 2020. In the Bonzos - a band that always managed to do its own thing - you still managed to stand out, doing your own thing squared (and never blacking up). You were very cool, never impressed by yourself. I remember, off my nut on steroids over a protracted stay in hospital ten years ago "Humanoid Boogie" was one of the only songs I could bear to listen to, and once I was out I managed to get a friend of yours to text you that I thought it was the best song ever written, and you texted back saying I was kind but wrong. And I never knew this about you:


 And goodbye and thank you, Norma Tanega. I know of you because the opening theme to "What We Do In The Shadows" used to hit me in the heart with anger, joy, despair and yeehahs all in the space of ten seconds. I heard we lost you today too. Here is my terrible double tribute:



Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. The feared day has happened and I find out from your Instagram, thanks for posting it, Simon. I've been a fan of Neil since my teenage days and saw him in concert twice, 20 years ago. Best and loveliest guy ever. Crying in front of my Innes Own Words tour poster on my fridge. - Stevie

    ReplyDelete