Monday 21 November 2022

THE GOOMB

 In my first night's sleep after being hospitalised for smoke inhalation in 2009 I had three very vivid dreams. I recorded the details of them as best as I could when I woke up, with illustrations, and here's one of them:
 
 "The freighter that picks me up from the Ice fow is manned by tall silver men with long waterproofs, square heads but aquiline profiles, smooth black dishes for ears and receding chrome spirals on the head. Maybe the cube swivels to accomodate the face. Anyway a nice kind image. THE GOOMB-MEN"
 
 I don't know where I got the name "Goomb" from, but they stayed with me. I tried to put them in a Mitchell And Webb sketch later that year (it was never filmed, maybe I submitted it too late), and I was still contemplating casting them as saviours in some children's book or other until today, when I was knocked sideways to see this image pop up on pinterest
 
 
 This is a two-headed Martian from the Twilight Zone story "Mr. Dingle the Strong", an episode I have no recollection of ever seeing. Their heads aren't exactly cubes, and their ears aren't exactly dishes, and their antennae aren't exactly spirals, but that's the Goomb alright, right down to their cheekbones. The clincher for me is that, while I describe them as "silver" in the notebook, I actually dreamt them in black and white.
 Emailing that sketch to Gareth Edwards back in December 2009, I wrote: 
"Hopefully you might find some joy - far too late as it is - in this sketch about aliens I mentioned ages ago, and then didn't write because it seemed you had loads about aliens, and now have written simply because it might turn out to be the very-odd-but-actually-useable sketch I have so far failed to produce." 
 And now UPDATE (April 27th 2023) It looks like it might actually be used now! All hail the Goomb...
 

 

2 comments:

  1. " it might turn out to be the very-odd-but-actually-useable sketch I have so far failed to produce"
    This from the man who wrote both Zombie Poppins and Asbo Zapruder? Also, love the Goomb sketch and laughed four times just on the read through. Somebody make it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It could always be called a homage.

      Delete