Tuesday 31 March 2020

TIMESPANNER BONUS MATERIAL: Trouser Bar Rabbit Hole


 The Dan In the High Castle was repeated today on Radio 4 Extra, so here's a fun game you can play that's vaguely related. I enjoyed playing it anyway. Above is the Radio Times review from when the show made Pick of the Day, and I'm fine with David McGillivray's reservations; it was only the second episode of anything I'd ever written, and there aren't that many ways to interpret the commissioning of a second pilot two years after the first. I'm very grateful though to those who stood up for it, including the fair Finnemore:


 But it was the following comment from David Cairns that set me on the path from which there could be no turning: "An indifferent review from the author of FRIGHTMARE. Praise from Caesar!" Now I hadn't heard of FRIGHTMARE but that wasn't too surprising; David C has a knowledge of film bordering on the Forbidden, having made it his mission to watch every single film illustrated in Denis Giffiord's Pictorial History of the Horror Movie. So here's the trailer...


 That's a hell of a font. I went and looked up McGillivray's wikipedia entry (which I'd like to think he had a hand in writing himself) and was instantly enamoured to find a stalwart who'd worked at the coalface of British smut. Living, breathing history: "House of Whipcord", "Satan's Slave", "I'm Not Feeling Myself Tonight", "The Hot Girls" (Not "Hot Girls", mind... "The Hot Girls".) These titles seemed almost specifically designed to wind up on a list. So I drew John's attention to the man's achievements, and John in turn drew my attention to this...


 It was not Kofi Annan. And I was not disappointed. But it was a surprisingly uneasy thing to google. So that's the game. Happy hunting!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, so NOW WHO LACKS IDENTITY, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind-gobbling.

    RADA should disown him. Or own him. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 100% with John on that one. Not sure I want to play the game, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey. I now await the discovery of the script for Dame Judi Dench's unproduced girl-on-girl jelly-wrestling epic, Wobble.

    ReplyDelete