Saturday 28 March 2020

Robb Wilton Touches his Face Twenty- Eight Times.

  

 By my count, at least (I'm not including the ears). Even outside of a world-wide pandemic Wilton's self-jeopardising stagecraft still seems gutsy ninety years on. I really enjoy the guy at the end too. I think he might also be the guy at the beginning being American - talkies were new I guess, Brits weren't that familiar with the accent yet. Actually I had my own lesson in doing an American accent yesterday, thanks to the internet and my friend Andrea...


 My main takeaway, and don't blame Andrea for this, this is my shorthand, is that to sound American, you should stick as a many hard "G"s as you can into every single word - so instead of saying "Madison Avenue", for example, you say "Gmagdigsgon Gavgengoo" - try it - and now, and this is the clever bit, take them all out again... See?... It's funny, I don't associate character comedy with the nineteen-thirties, hang on I'll do some research - Holy Moly, the compere is Peepshow creator Sam Bain's grandfather! Aw. Well, there's more here if you want to see, say, this:

No comments:

Post a Comment