Monday 23 March 2020

O Sweet, O Sweet Content!


All set!

 I am seriously considering a review of the two-hundred VHS tapes I keep in the cupboard to replace Frankenstein Wednesdays. I started on tape #1 last night, containing Flash Gordon, The Man With Two Brains and The Fellowship of the Ring, Extended Edition (or as my Dad put it, the version where they put all the acting). It's interesting to note that Hobbiton, supposedly the most backward, unchanging community in Tolkein's world, appears to be centuries ahead in its influences of the Medieval-inspired civilisations surrounding it. Boom! Blog done. I'd also been considering blogging about Ming's daughter Princess Aura for a while: She seems to have been to Flash Gordon creator Alex Raymond what Satan was to Milton: entirely and unintentionally heroic.


 Boom! Another blog. Really though today's post is all about flagging up some of the beautiful ways others have been using their time. The magnificent Andy Stanton, for example, has been reading aloud all of a Mr. Gum book, so we can finally know for certain what everyone was supposed to sound like:



 His fellow Nincompoop, and my own colleague and definite future Dr. Who, Carrie Quinlan, has initiated The Wild Freelancer Blog, and also this: 



 The writers of Mitchell and Webb's "Remain Indoors" sketches have remained indoors to bring us this episode of Rule Of Three (no way of embedding that, sorry) while Mighty Fin impresario Robbie Hudson has set up his own Emergency Broadcast System over on Spotify, on which I can occassionally be heard bellowing songs. Seasoned Science shut-in Helen Czerski (six weeks aboard a ship studying bubbles at the North Pole is nothing to her - she's like an astronaut if space had bears) joins the ranks of Science Shambles' Stay at Home Festival:



 More fictionally, Monster Hunters co-creator Matthew Woodcock has created a surprisingly prescient submarine-based thriller for Definitely Human called Down, its presience almost exactly matching that of Avenue 5, if anyone's seen that. No spoilers. Avenue 5's shuttle pilot John Finnemore meanwhile, perhaps most heroically of all, has gone and shaved his beard just to give us this wonderful thing:



 And obviously I've been rebranding procrastination as "social isolation" from pretty much ever since this blog went daily last Christmas (April the first will be the hundredth straight post) but, Oo! My second pilot to Time Spanner, The Dan in the High Castle, is being repeated on Radio 4 tomorrow if anyone fancies a huddle. Huge thanks and love to all these makers and partakers. Be well, everyone.


For when I run out of VHSes.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, have you been listening to Down? It's *very* good, isn't it? (No spoilers if you haven't/aren't all caught up with the latest episode, just - wowsers.)

    As for Arthur Shappey's return, I think my favourite bit was the implication that OJS Air somehow started the current - situation - almost single-handedly. That, and the fact that he's better than Douglas at... missing the point.

    (I know that's not what this comment section is for, but have you ever tried to imagine how your characters would interact with characters from other people's shows? I bet Arthur would have the time of his life should he happen to find himself in Martin Gay's shoes - or, well, shoeless, as it happens. And a rather interesting experience for everyone else, from Daniel Kraken to not-Bridget - okay, I'll just stop digressing now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel I spent too little time trying to imagine how my characters would react with each other, frankly, let alone with others. However in its earliest days I did consider a special in which Martin Gay would be given the pick of non-existent characters from Heaven to form a Team of Legends, including both Spikes: Spike from "Buffy" and Spike from "Press Gang"... Buffy Spike: "Where you from?" Press Gang Spike: "The States originally, but I'm based over here now." Buffy Spike: "Funny, I live in the States now, but I'm originally from Britain..." Both: "Oh that explains the accent!"

    ReplyDelete