Tuesday 12 January 2021

At Least Five Other Actors Who Dress Like Me

 
 I found this commercial or whatever it is while researching Lee Montague, who appears in a gangster-themed Dick Emery Christmas Special from the seventies that my Dad was in and which I might share later. Don't worry about watching the whole thing. The stills below give an idea. I'm unsure what mood, if any, the film-maker's going for. Or rather, since the music is pretty obviously elegaic, I'm unsure how aware the actors were they're participating in an elegy. Maybe I'm just unsure how I feel watching it... I miss the hilarity with which me and my sister would pore over old copies of "Spotlight - The Actors' Directory" as teenagers. Still, it's good to get some perspective. It's almost stupidly obvious to say how easy it is to lose that in lockdown, and so – specifically for any actors reading this – let's keep an eye on the future, and remember that the buildings will reopen one day, and that we will meet again... 


"Charles Bronson, he couldn't get a laugh." The great Michael Craig
 
 theatre, in some form or other, will of course continue, the film studios will reopen...
 

"The women could have been less. On the whole." The great Derrenn Nesbitt
 
and cameras will roll, make-up will be applied, and stories shared, and cushions plumped...


"Don't say to Mr. Chaplin, oh wouldn't it be a good idea if I did this, he said, 
you'll be fucking fired." The great Michael Medwin
 
 all this, again, and for ever, and ever and ever and ever...
 
"I drift into these very, very pleasant studios." The great Freddie Jones.
 
 until one day, if we're lucky...
 
 
"It's not over yet." The great Roy Dotrice 
 
this could be us.

No comments:

Post a Comment