Saturday 16 January 2021

Dr. Stella Nyanzi Has My Attention

"At the risk of sounding crude, I don't think we need more vaginas in parliament, I've made this point many times. It matters what sort of vagina is entering parliament."
 
 I keep thinking I hate the idea of heroes, and then coming across heroes. According to wikipedia, Stella Nyanzi practices "what scholars have called 'radical rudeness,' which is a traditional Ugandan strategy of calling the powerful to account through public insult." It is glorious to witness. There's more on her "radical rudeness" here, and this might seem an odd day to post such a hopeful video, with the Ugandan elections now over, and opposition leader Bobi Mine apparently under house arrest, but I didn't know about any of this until just a couple of hours ago, and still feel we could all do with a shot of what Dr. Stella Nyanzi is giving out – the courageous, warm and unashamed Yes to this and No to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment