Friday 30 October 2020

Behind Closed Ghosts. Last Ghosts Post. Ghost Promise.

The opening credits of Ghosts provide a pretty good approximation of the interior of West Horsley Place where the show's filmed. The real thing's deeper of course, and wider (and I never got to see the basement), but at the bottom left, there, you can see the pillars where we had the ghost fight, and the stairs at the back do indeed take you to ballroom where the wedding was held. Did I take photos of the actual interior? Absolutely. Was I even allowed to? I've no idea but to hell with the rules, I'm going to let you in anyway, yeah! Welcome, once again, to Behind The Scene with Kieth Darren Dean!


  Okay, it seems that is all I took. I have no idea what is wrong with me seriously. Sorry. Back to the doll's house: To the far right of the ballroom is the green room, which I was lucky enough to share with not only with the stars of the show but, as I intimated here, a star of my life:
 
 Ned Mond, to give Neil Edmond his myspace name - which I would scrupulously do back in the early days of this blog, to preserve people's anonymity from my millions of followers - appears in the very first post I wrote on here, and our friendship goes back even further. This is a picture from 2002 of him as Hamlet, me as Polonius and Nigel Barrett as Claudius in Sulayman Al-Bassam's Al-Hamlet Summit, which we won a prize for in Cairo. Neil and I visited the pyramids of Giza on horseback, wobbling at a canter like a pair of Denholm Elliotts. You're never shown the back of the pyramids by the way, but they have a KFC. I think Nige and the musicians took a jeep.



 As the vicar Neil was encouraged to improvise quite a bit around the filibuster Jim Howick and Mathew Baynton wrote for him. "I had a flat-head..." I think was one of his, and I also remember something about the bride in the anecdote having "quite a meaty smell" which never made the cut. It should also be noted that his vicar is from the United Reformed Church, as Jim and Mat discovered the Church of England does not perform same-sex weddings. Yet.


 God literally bless them.
 I think I will leave it there. If you have any questions I'll be happy to field them in the comments. The episode Neil and I are in will be up here for another ten months, as will the entire series I assume, and it is really very good. I would like to thank everyone at Button House for having me, and also my showreel for helping me land the role by opening with me accidentally shooting someone, then looking distraught for four minutes. If you look very hard at the last shot of the series you'll see me waving my arms with joy behind the leads like a pro. 
 I was feeling it. 
 Here is your moment of Den:

 
 Oh! Also, I realised a day into starting the countdown of my Frankenstein pieces that I’d completely mistimed it and should have started a day earlier, but anyway here is my far from penultimate piece on 1944′s House of Frankenstein.

5 comments:

  1. I mean, you don't have to stop ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Despite the hideously charmless and intimidating characters she regularly plays onscreen, in real life Charlotte Ritchie is actually surprisingly approachable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve only just seen it because you can’t get iPlayer in Eire and BBC Northern Ireland (which you can get) waits until Fridays to run Ghosts. It was worth the wait. A lovely episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it hardly matters either way, but do you by any chance happen to know/have a personal headcanon as to whether Keith is a friend/acquaintance of Clare's or Sam's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you're asking. There's a lot I decided not to decide BUT he sits on Clare's side, and I feel when her dad comes over for a chat he doesn't really know who Keith is, he's just checking up on everyone. So I'm guessing a friend of Clare rather than her parents, but also the age difference suggests maybe a colleague from quite a way back, maybe someone still working at a place Clare's moved on from (like Martin Gay, a non-mover), not a close friend, as he doesn't really seem to know anyone. I didn't see what table he was sitting on.

    ReplyDelete