Wednesday 14 October 2020

"Toast Can't Never Be Bread Again"

  I'm very glad I've continued bingeing Netflix's Orange Is The New Black, which having lost its way a little in season 3, has not only found it again in season 4, but Absolutely Gone There. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched, so there's only so much I can write, but for something made under Obama, the series is proving a blistering accompaniment to MAGA, and 2020 in particular. I also wasn't prepared for how much the season 4 finale late would make me pine for 2009. This isn't a spoiler because it's a flashback. All of Litchfields' inmates' flashbacks suggest a seemingly limitless budget - every backstory builds a new world - and Poussey Washington's last night in New York was such a specific and unembarrassed celebration of the goodness of people without proper jobs, and of the places they make, and of the accompanying greatness of the city they play in - those aren't even real monks - that it seemed to yawp "Fuck viability!" as if they'd made it this week.
 
   But I'd felt that city slipping away here ever since the closure of the Shunt Lounge. As I may have mentioned. We lost so many places to play around in in 2010. And I had been thinking about changing the blog's wallpaper too - those hangers have been up for decade - but now I've decided they'll stay because, as this episode's reminded me, it's good to be reminded.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment