Wednesday 8 April 2020

"And the Skinside is the Inside"

 As you can see from the above photographs, Abbey Road studios opened up especially yesterday just to let me record a couple of pieces written over a hundred years ago at the South Pole for the Royal Museums Greenwich's (hum, weird phrase) isolation something-or-other... Podcast? Video? I'll know when it goes out which is noon today*, but it should be great so - unlike me in the photo above - heads up. (This is not my bed duvet I'm using to deaden the acoustics, it is my living room duvet, it's fine.)


It's now up on youtube. The readings are at 8:37 and 40:50.

 On a bleaker comic note, if you've never heard Dylan Moran's short monologue "The Expedition" I really recommend sneaking a listen to it here as it's phenomenal. Dylan Moran has always sounded like he's got a duvet over his head. In other news I myself finally ventured outside this evening, and Regent's Park was full of bats. Here's today's Defoe:



 *Thursday today, not Wednesday today.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful readings. Thankyous Zzz... I deffo need some more Brimestone for my Objects... (Asking for a friend) ... <Kato also heard this and said "Meeeooowww" too...well done good sir! (-; xMorganico

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Royal Museums Greenwich live video was brilliant, especially the sleeping bag poem/tongue twister. Also, the duvet is paramount (this is an Atticus reference, by the way).

    (As for Defoe's Journal, how very 'smart' of the protagonist to resolve not to go outside... except when driven by his own curiosity. Pfft.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this, Simon, even more so because I was listening for work purposes and wasn't expecting to hear your voice. I love it when unconnected aspects of your life "cross the streams", as it were. "Skinside on the Inside" is a piece of glorious nonsense worthy of Belloc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! All out of brimstone, lovely Morgan, apologies, but I'm sure Kato has a horde. Big big love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the Northern Party got a mention! They would all be laughing at us right now, sequestered in our comfortable dry homes with lovely weather and allowed to go to the supermarket ... Thank you for your lighthearted and spirited readings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Very glad this made it onto your radar.

    ReplyDelete