Sunday 12 April 2020

That cartoon where Jesus is mistaken for yakuza in a sauna...

 Here's the Easter story retold in a scene from the Japanese animé Saint Young Men, a flat-share comedy starring possibly teen-age versions of the Buddha and the Christ which I first heard about as a "true or false" question on  How Did This Get Played? I can't find that much else about it online, so I don't know which of the two avatars is the Oscar and which is the Felix. Maybe neither are slobs. Maybe it's more more like Alf? Or My Two Dads, and Jesus is... the noisy one? It's probably less reductive than that, but from what few clips I've seen it's clear he has issues with stigmata, and that both seem prone to anxiety, which is comforting. Here, I think, is its uplifting theme tune:


 And here is today's far more downbeat Defoe, possibly for completists only. (If any reader does have more information about Saint Young Men, please feel free to share it in the comments below.)


No comments:

Post a Comment