Monday 27 April 2020

SFXspeare

 Maybe this will be the worst one I do. Maybe not. I was certainly nervous. It helped that Shakespeare's first play seems to be almost exclusively dialogues, but even so the conversants sound pretty similar... When I was intoduced onstage for the Finnetour last year (John Finnemore's Flying Visit) my character boasted four voices: Normal, Shouting, Sottish and Lady, and I knew this was joke but I wasn't sure why John had chosen those specific four voices, but then sure enough, as soon as I finished today's recording I realised those were exactly the four voices I'd used,a dn so went to get the T-shirt you'll see in the openind. I hadn't intended to use sound effects, by the way, it's just when I came to edit this my opening lines seemed nerve-wrackingly bare I thought some "atmos" might help give the scene some energy, and as soon as I put it on (it being iMovie's "City Night Crowd") I felt, if nothing else, a less alone. Scene Two had no atmos because it's indoors, but I did add some door sounds, still not entirely convinced about the addition of random effects though, but here's why in the end I've decided to keep them in. Working out which scenes to add the street sounds to, something about the world of this play became suddenly clear to me: I was only adding them to the scenes with men in. Women didn't go outdoors.



 Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

2 comments:

  1. I thought the sound effects worked quite well. (For pity's sake, Mr Shakespeare - do let those poor women get out of the house already.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! (Be careful what you wish for.)

    ReplyDelete