Tuesday 28 April 2020

Klopstokian Meet Cute


 Hmm. 23:40 and I've just finished editing today's Shakespeare youtubery. I don't mind if the videos are going to take this long, I just need to plan it all a bit better, that's all. But while I wait for that to upload...


... here in a similar vein is a beautifully developed and tender bit of love at first sight featuring a travelling brush salesman from Million Dollar Legs (W.C. Fields' first feature, although he didn't write it and he's not in this scene). Red Skelton was also a travelling brush salesman in that Bela Lugosi sketch I remember. It was definitely a thing. I'll post today's video below once it's uploaded. I've only cut the one blatantly anti-semitic line from it, and I tell you what that was in the introduction, so this is still the complete works.


Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

4 comments:

  1. As a non-actor type, I'm curious; Do you find the thought reading the less well known plays relaxing, because of their relative lack of fame, or more scary for the same reason? For me the idea of doing Cymbeline is fine but to attempt the Crispin's Day Speech... *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall definitely address this but I think the plays I know better are going to be easier because there'll be less stumbling. Also you're in a room at a laptop, so the heat's very much off audience-wise, and the most famous speeches are famous because they're fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Launce is my favourite so far, possibly because I am innately a groundling and possibly because he sounds suspiciously like a multi-headed trapdoor monster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not get to do this voice nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete