Thursday 23 April 2020

And had to be contented.


 Here's today's Royal Museums Greenwich Live, hosted by Helen Czerski (who gives her own great sea-borne insights into isolation here) and with a couple of readings from me. Victorian sailor Henry Ralph Harvey's discovery of the recuperative powers of ship-bound box-building remind me a bit of Dan Harmon's Minecraft mania, and Sue Prichard's question "but then what do you put in the box?" really struck a chord: I've been given some beautiful little boxes in my life, but I have no jewellery so I use them for hoarding my frayed dongles. Speaking of which, not mentioned above, thankfully (and I'm thinking mainly of Captain Graham Westgarth's feelings here), is something the Museum shared with Helen when she first emailed them on the topic of what seafarers did to stay sane: "and it is really grim - but there are accounts of specific species of fish being nailed to a piece of wood and used as a communal masturbation tool."
 Specific species...


A little skrimshaw. Far more here.

 I also liked Sue's observation that the increase in sales of crafting materials during this "lockdown" period doesn't point to our turning away from a life online, but in fact goes hand in hand with it because it's only now online we're learning how to use these materials. I can't boast of any improvements in the output of my own hobby, but here's today's Defoe, in which I misidentify a mass-grave at Moorfields as one currently being exhumed outside Liverpool Steet Station. I muddled my Bedlams, in other words.


Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment