Wednesday 28 October 2020

A Couple Of Things I Learnt From Ghosts


 One thing I learnt filming Ghosts back in January was how to tie a double-half-hitch, which is why there was that rope hanging from the ceiling of my trailer in case anyone peered in and was wondering. I was prepared for the double-half-hitch therefore, but less prepared for what I had to do just before: nothing but my hand would come into shot initially to grab the collapsing festoon, and then the rest of me would swing into shot revealing the identity of this hero. Not a detail in the script, just some proper film-making from director Tom Kingsley, which was a lesson in itself. And I sort of managed it, but the line "I got it" was actually recorded a few months later on a phone under a duvet in my flat, possibly to cover the faff of me not managing it more smoothly. It still really works though, doesn't it, don't get me wrong. Also, this is very much what I normally look like at weddings by the time the dancing's started. The costume department gave me lots of stuff to bulk out my pockets because I thought Keith's decision to turn up might have been a bit last minute, and he couldn't find a big coat.

 The other thing I learnt from Ghosts, just off the top of my head, was how to act in front of a camera. This I learnt very quickly from Tom Kingsley after two takes of the scene at the stump. It had been one of the scenes at the audition, an uplifting ten minutes in a room with Tom, Jim Howick, Ben Willbond and the producer Matt Mulot sharing stories of Ripper Walks - which it turns out Jim also did - and of course also being invited to act. So I'd definitely done okay, but performing the scene again a month later in front of a green screen outside West Horsely Place (oh! I didn't know until I got out of the car that the show was filmed in a real mansion - that was exciting!) I could tell the knockee wasn't really leaving the park. So: "Okay," said Tom after the second take. "This time, just try saying the lines to yourself."
 Up until then I had been saying them to camera. 
 And the camera was, well, this far away.





 Whereas the microphone was directly underneath my tie. So that's what I learnt. You don't actually have to act for the camera. The camera will pick it all up anyway. So will the microphone. And I hope it's okay to say that I adore this scene, partly because I know I'm just doing what I'm told in it, (even if I didn't manage to make my forehead go all veiny like a sad Don Draper). If it's the only acting I get to do on terrestrial television, it will still have been something useful in something great, and a performance that could never be given on radio or on stage, because it needs green screens and framing and a soundtrack and a microphone under my tie. So I got to do some proper telly. I also got to do something brilliant, kind and loved, made by - as I hinted back in January - a brilliant, kind and loved team. You can watch it here.
 
 (The filming of this, sourced from Tom Kingsley's twitter
 
   And to continue the Hallowe'en Countdown of the old Universal Farnakensteins, here's what I wrote about 1942's Ghost of Frankenstein.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I wondered if that was really you tying the knot. Apparently the double half hitch crops up a lot in macramé, so ideal if you ever want to make a plant-pot holder or a wall-hanging shaped like an owl.

    The snow scene was really moving, btw. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swinging-into-shot sequence is genius, and the whole scene was so heartwarming I now get a warm fuzzy feeling every time knot tying is mentioned, no matter the context. Which is a good thing, because it balances out quite nicely how the "Hello, Skip" bit still brings tears to my eyes even on my second - I believe? - rewatch.

    (I'm not entirely sure why, but that thing about saying the lines to yourself rather than to the camera reminded me of that one time I very briefly tried my hand at sword fighting at a village fete, and the swordsman pointed out that you shouldn't aim your blows at your opponent's sword but rather directly at your foe - something that had never even crossed my mind before. This probably has nothing to do with either Tom Kingsley's direction or acting in general, but there you go.)

    Thanks once more for a job beautifully done, and for making series 2 of Ghosts a little more special. And should you happen to get the chance, please do pass on my kudos to Neil Edmond for his utterly delightful performance as the vicar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see you in a tv show, especially this one, and to see you do so brilliantly. Never understood why you weren’t all over British tv, so let’s hope this is the first of many.
    (This stump scene is my favourite of the whole series, just beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lothiriel - Wow! Actual sword fighting! In stage fighting you're definitely not meant to aim for the foe, which is why stage fighting is so boring. I will give Neil your kudos.
    Christelle - Thank you so much. Paws crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, RedScharlach, I missed you up there. Thank you very much! The top search result when I type in "double half hitch" is "the murderer's knot".

    ReplyDelete