Wednesday 27 January 2021

The Light At Night Is More Polite.







 I guess this place makes sharks.
 A walk from afternoon into evening. Thirty thousand steps. I've been very good so far this week about getting up at a reasonable time, but – and I now remember feeling this the last time I kept civilized hours for no reason – I'm not sure I prefer the daylight. It's busier, for one thing. I don't just mean the world's busier. I mean that the light itself is always on the move, changing colour and throwing shadows that are never where you last saw them, like the hands of a clock. Once night falls, however, the light stays still. It just lets you get on with it, and doesn't hurry you along, at this latitude anyway. That said, if I've found I've stayed up until dawn, it does seem a shame to miss the daylight, once it's here. I want to hang around with it. But I only feel this at dawn. And it strikes me, suddenly, that this might be symbolic of something, but I can't think what. Can you get Vitamin D from satsumas?

2 comments:

  1. Love the sharks. And now I have On An Island In The Sea from Frankenstein and the Sharks of Doom stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susannah Pearse might well be in one of those.

    ReplyDelete