Thursday 8 September 2022

Gracious


 Who says a circle has no end? Phil Davis' twitter account put it well: "She did what she was supposed to do." I always thought it would be David Attenborough who went first, but no, Churchill's boss has finally left us. Not all the bus shelters in Notting Hill bear the news yet. "Postpone" is probably the wrong word to use here, in retrospect, if not the word "rest"...
 
 And maybe noboby was looking at their phone more than normal as I walked home through Soho. Maybe I was just noticing it more. I learnt of the news myself from a definitive "1926 - 2022" instagram post on my phone at about seven in the evening just outside Forbidden Planet. But people online had been spending all day reminiscing about her already, so I felt more of an "Oh, right" than an "Oh no!" And the drinks that I walked past felt like drinks after a show kind of drinks. Friday kind of drinks. Life definitely goes on. Today's proven that at least.

 I didn't hear anyone say "God Save the King" outside the Crown. The mood outside all the pubs, and in the pub above which I write this – have I mentioned, I live above a pub now? – seems more one of "Fair play, who can blame her?"  But it's been raining a lot of course, after the drought of course, and she'd just appointed a new Worst Prime Minister of course, so maybe everyone's had their fill of the unthinkable, and just wants to kick a ball around. Or maybe that's just me.


 Susy and I went to visit our Aunty June yesterday, in her new care home in Henley. Susy visits her a lot. I love Susy. June's dealing with her sudden dementia incredibly well, I think, without distress, finding her way around it like a new phone that doesn't do what the old one did. There's nothing doddery about her condition. Some very specific information simply doesn't take. Every ten minutes or so I just had to reintroduce myself, and explain I wasn't married to my sister. Not remind June. That information had gone. Meet her, I suppose. And I like meeting people. "And what do you do?" She can get through a book perfectly well too, she told me, whoever I was. June's not bored. 


 So there's that. The giant illuminated strawberries on the Coronet fly at half mast. And Mum and Dad arrive from France tonight, to celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary back here in the United Kingdom. I hope they're okay. "Kingdom". I've never had a king before. I wonder if that will take. I wonder what money will look like. Oh! I was going to send her a link to my youtube Shakespeares, I think she might have enjoyed them. The Queen, I mean. What made me think of that? I wonder what she listened to. I wonder if she ever heard me. 
 

A brilliantly unfortunate front page from the Mirror.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't considered bank notes. I had worked out stamps. Coinage. Bloody hell that's gonna be expensive huh. Nobody has made a 10p that didn't have her head on it. The anthem is going to be a bit like a birthday for someone you don't know well. "God save our gracious Que-ing". Anyway, hope life above the pub is treating you well, good sir and not too noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone from a different country, the thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is that there's still going to be a monarchy now that the Queen is gone. I know that's how a monarchy works, it's just - 'King Charles III' had such a weird ring to it, but at least reading about it in the news got me to rewatch The King's Speech (great film, by the way) which is something, I guess. I hope your parents had/will have a lovely anniversary, and that your aunt is doing as well as can be expected. And long live the blog, too.

    ReplyDelete