Tuesday 6 December 2022

One of the Things They Called Rudy Vallée...

  "I was really the very first, I think, to sing naturally. To sing as you speak. And, of course, it wasn't accepted by everybody. Certain clergy thought the songs I sang were evil, because of the love content, and the way I sang them. And they really really said, Rudy Vallée should not be allowed to sing on the air. Because – not of the content of the lyric particularly – but the hypnotic effect. The sexual quality, let us say. I was born, my friends sigh, with a tremendous amount – a great amount of sexual... emotion. Now, the song pluggers in 1940 in New York City called me 'The Guy With the Cock in His Voice'. That was their expression: 'The Guy With the Cock in His Voice'. That was evidently why, over a period of my eighty-four years of life, I have known over a-hundred-and-forty-five women and girls." 

 
 I have been doing a little research into the studio that made "Citizen Kane". 
 Also featured in Episode One of "The RKO Story": Katharine Hepburn, King Kong, Murray Spivak's giant wind machines, a hundred dancing women strapped to aeroplanes, Ginger Rogers, and Fred Astaire who also appears in Love Goddess - the Rudy Vallee Rita Hayworth Musical, tickets HERE!
 

4 comments:

  1. "Over 145" is a strange number to pick. Was that the point where he stopped counting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe for a second he ever stopped counting.
      Maybe the original question was "Have you known over, under, or exactly 145 women and girls?" and this was a long answer.

      Delete
    2. Maybe he told the interviewer "I'm not going to tell you how many, but if you guess a number, I'll tell you whether it's more or less than that."

      Or maybe it was 146.

      The "and girls" bit definitely hasn't aged well.

      Delete