Wednesday 1 January 2020

It's 2020. Here's Lembit Opik.

 I'm concerned that not enough of you know what former Cheeky-Girl-dating, light entertainment Lib-Dem Lembit Opik is up to these days. Don't worry, he's doing fine:



 He's now a "Chairman of Parliament", specifically the parliament of "Asgardia", a micronation the size of a hard drive orbiting Earth which is what it is. It has a king:


Thanks, Dr. Igor! Further specifics about the actual make-up of this parliament can be found on Asgardia's website, which is of course asgardia.space, where you should also find a link to click on if you want to be mayor. Don't worry, it has scientists as well obviously:


 So yes, I will be keeping a very close eye on these guys. The full story of this putative zero-gravity sex farm or whatever it is can be enjoyed in Amy Hoggart's brilliant piece for "Samantha Bee's Full Frontal" below, which is how I first heard of it, and in which I was really not expecting to see Lembit Opik pop up. Anyway, happy twenpy-twenpy everyone! Here's to the future...



"He founded the nation. Give him a break."

2 comments:

  1. That's it, I'm declaring my laptop an independent nation, and throwing it out of the window - that's the closest thing to launching it into space I can ever hope to achieve, but it's the same basic principle, right? (All this future malarkey looks pretty stupid from where I stand, or maybe it's just that I'm tired, I don't know.)

    Still, happy new year/decade/[insert other arbitrarily-long period of time]. May it be kinder to us all.

    ReplyDelete