Friday 19 June 2020

First Draft

 I went out today in a mask for the first time. Today I went out for the first time in a mask. I went out in a mask today for the first time. Today I went out in a mask for the first time. This is what writing this blog's actually like. I'd hoped that if I wrote something a day for haf a year stuff like this would have become easier by now, second nature, word placement, things like that. But no. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention. I'm not used to practicing. Anway, today I went out in a mask, for the first time, and it felt good. Now I'll have a bash at that second bit again. This is what writing's like, nothing like talking, and it should be like talking but when you talk I suppose it doesn't matter so much if you don't know how a sentence is going to end. I tried drawing today. I thought I hadn't done it for a while. I drew some round cartoon eyes and then a j-shaped nose and immediately saw I'd not left enough room for the body and just drew a triangle and realised I'd no idea what it was I was going to draw, and that that was the work, and without that I wasn't really drawing. What's the important bit then? That I wore a mask? That I went out today? That today was the first time I wore a mask? Is any of it important? Was I just hoping while writing that something important might turn up?  Was I even putting in the work of hoping? I don't think I was doing even that. But that's something. What I wrote just then. Hope is work. Yeah. That seems important. I'll write that.

3 comments:

  1. I went out in a mask for the first time today too. I was a bit worried my nose might feel squashed but actually it was fine. Your brain seems as off-kilter as mine feels at the moment, but I think that's probably fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More problematic for me is probably the risk of sock-puppet mouth. Though not as problematic as Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope is Unpaid work. Maybe I should specify that.

    ReplyDelete