Tuesday 23 June 2020

A History of Rome For People Who Like Wobbly Things

  I have watched this film four times now and I still
have no idea what this graphic represents.

 Having self-isolated for over twelve weeks it was weird to wake up on Friday with an insect bite. It felt very, you know, "We got company". I think I found the mosquito responsible when I went to take a shower, hovering by the curtain like a tiny Norman Bates. A surprising amount of blood enused, so now I'm alone in the flat again and what I miss most about company might be best embodied in the following, a nineteen minute history of Rome sent out to classrooms in the eighties and preserved here on Reelblack's youtube channel in an ever so slightly warped print. The distortion's only noticeable when there's music, but there's quite a bit of that, which I find amusing enough when watching on my own, but I know would have me on the floor if I was watching in company. That's what I miss. It's hard to corpse on your own. And I guess this means there's still a part of me that associates friends with classrooms. Anyway, could someone get the lights?

3 comments:

  1. I'm guessing '235-285 A.D.' refers to that period in Roman history when they pretty much changed a emperor a year (well, assassinated would probably be more accurate a description) - which still gives me no clue as to who or what that silhouette stands for. Also, I had forgotten it was Augustus who said "I found Rome a city of bricks [clay?] and left it a city of marble." I'll have to go and check whether his name was explicitly referenced in that 'leave marbles in a jar' sketch from JFSP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I'd forgotten that sketch! I think the film states it was said of him rather than by him though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite right, apparently it's a quote from Suetonius's The Lives of the Caesars. And I've finally located that sketch - it's in series 7, episode 5. (Some top-notch humming/mumbling from our beloved Caesar Augustus on that one, too.)

    ReplyDelete