Saturday 15 August 2020

Sometimes This Blog Will Just Dip Into An Octopus's Umwelt



 Continuing on the subject of natural wonders: "Maybe I can never really know what it means to be an octopus..."


 Imagine if your hands were your legs and your tongue and also had brains, so actually imagine that you're a leg that can hold and taste things, but also that you're the owner of that leg. Okay, stop doing that with your hands now. That's a  hard ask. Let me put it another way...


 Imagine being not a top-down monolith of neurons, but a guerilla collective so attuned to your environment you could actually change colour. So imagine your brain wan't just in your head. Maybe you don't imagine that anyway. Maybe you're quite active. Maybe you just do that with your hands naturally. I'm not really making myself clear. What am I trying to say? Let me put it another way...


 Imagine owning an octopus!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, these are great. I'm fairly sure everything I eat passes straight through my brain, so I empathize with octopodes for that reason. However, "suck first and ask questions later" really isn't a philosophy that scales up well for humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only because we now have books. Otherwise how would we know what stuff tastes like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair point. And I had forgotten that was my modus operandi while under the age of four, and is why I still have a very distinct sense memory of what the paint off a plastic Womble tastes like.

    ReplyDelete