Tuesday 19 May 2020

Who Thinks We've Started?

... the catchphrase of The Establishment (here photographed by Mark Dawson).
Very useful if you're improvising.

 Jumping forward in the chronology, to get to a famous one before I take a little break, we come to "The Tragedy of Julius Caesar" whose title seems a bit of a misnomer although I don't want to give anything away. As I say in episode zero, I'd originally considered starting the whole project with this one, not because it was famous so much, but because this seemed one of the easier works for a forty-five-year-old man to stage single-handedly in front of a laptop, and because politics isn't boring at the moment. None of this however excuses how sloppy I am in this first act. There were a lot of parts here I'd been wanting to play for a while. I find the text heart-breaking, but this is one of the few plays of Shakespeare's still approached with a presumption of stiffness. Even if nobody's in a toga, and it certainly doesn't help if you can't get your legs out, the text is so packed with quotes there's a risk of treating the lines like a series of destinations rather than a vehicle, but Cassius for example I think is a piping hot mess, so I was keen to lean into naturalism here, but, again, this does not excuse how sloppy I am in the video. I think the play's opening is one of those "wait, has the play started?" scenes designed to blur the audience's world into the world of the story, which can work so well in somewhere like the Globe and pretty much nowhere else, but, to be absolutely clear, this still does not excuse my sloppiness. The thing is I'd only had four hours sleep. I could have had more, don't worry, but after a particularly long Modern Family binge on Sunday evening I dreamt I was on a Beauty and the Beast-themed roller-coaster-dodgem with Eric Stonestreet whose final collision was timed t  coincide exactly with the end of "Be Our Guest", at which point I woke up, far too excited obviously to go back to sleep. But you get the idea. Act One:

2 comments:

  1. I mean, as much as a decent night's sleep is always a good idea, I'm not sure even that would have been enough to improve act one. That was quite a lot of exposition for one act, especially in scene two where we get to hear one character relate to the others what happened offstage. I suppose it might well work in the actual Globe, but still. (Also, I'm still quite confused as to whether or not Caesar is implying that fat men are somehow more trustworthy, or just dumber, or - what, exactly.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More trustworthy, I reckon. Caesar doesn't trust the hungry.

    ReplyDelete