Sunday 19 December 2021

The Persistence of Memory Round

 I noticed, on the walk I took on Sunday evening, that the moon – like myself – had risen a little later than the day before, and I was reassured by this. Previously I had known only theoretically that it couldn't always show up on time for nightfall, as that's not how orbits work, but my regular urban surroundings had never been flat enough to prove it. I missed the city's pavements, though. The roads between these villages are fringed instead with ditches. I assume that's so you'll crash your car if you skid, rather than drive over a vine. You've got to protect the vines. 
 When I got home, my laptop died – or at least coudn't be woken – and I spent the next few days trying to bring it back to life, which is why this post is actually going out on the night of Wednesday the 22nd. Now the factory settings have been restored though, here, by the light of Sunday's moon, is another quiz for you, this one from August. Match the following ten Surrealist titles: "The Decoy"... "Disturbing Presence"... "Floor 4706"... "Men Shall now Nothing of This"... "The Persistence of Memory"... "Hamlet"... "The Son of Man"... "Stage Fright"... "The Uncertainty of the Poet"... and finally, "Bicycle Wheel"...  to the following ten Surrealist works. And I'll post the answers in the comments.
 
1. René Magritte, 1964

 
 
 2. Salvador Dali, 1931
 
 3. Remedios Varo, 1959

 
 
4. Marcel Duchamp, 1913 (originally, but pretty easy to throw together, and repeated since)
 
 
5. Gertrude Abercrombie, 1952
 
 
6. Giorgio de Chirico, 1913
 
 
7. Man Ray 1949
 
8. Leonora Carrington,  1958
 
 
9. Edith Rimmington, 1948
 
 
10. Max Ernst, 1923
 

1 comment:

  1. AND HERE ARE THE ANSWERS... 1. "The Son of Man" by René Magritte, 1964, 2. "The Persistence of Memory" by Salvador Dali, 1931, 3. "Disturbing Presence" by Remedios Varo, 1959, 4. "Bicycle Wheel" by Marcel Duchamp, originally 1913, 5. "Stage Fright" by Gertrude Abercrombie, 1952, 6. "The Uncertainty of the Poet" by Giorgio de Chirico, 1913, 7. "Hamlet", from "Shakespearean Equations" by Man Ray 1949, 8. "Floor 4706", by Leonora Carrington, 1958, 9. "The Decoy" by Edith Rimmington, 1948, 10. "Men Shall now Nothing of This" by Max Ernst, 1923

    ReplyDelete