Saturday 18 December 2021

Lights Up.

 Let's take a quick interval from all the film quizzes, just to catch up. How are you? Where are you? In case you didn't know, I'm here now, suddenly.

 That's the moon on the left, and that's the village I'm staying in on the right: a white knight bringing plague to the medieval village! Only joking. No "major incidents" here, yet – Oh, hang on...

 No. Just a cyclist.
 
 Please forgive my relief. I managed to book tickets out of King's Cross as soon as my sister phoned on Thursday to tell me France would be doing the Big Lockdown the following midnight. I got down yesterday. Susy's stuck in London, but I hope cosy.
 
 It's colder here than in London, surprisingly. The roadside raspberries are inedible.
 
   But the light hangs around for longer.
 
  By the end of my walk this evening, the moon was the only light I had. But it cast a sharp shadow. I'll be staying here long enough to see the moon wane, and to see the stars come out. Mum and Dad tell me the village has started turning its street lights off at midnight, to save power.
 
 Dad's put new Christmas lights up in the cinema. He put them up in June in fact. He's been waiting six months for family to come down so he could finally turn them on. They're beautiful.

 Again, please forgive my relief. I hope you're all doing tremendously.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, that explains the galactically huge queue for Eurostar that I saw when passing through St Pancras on Friday. I don't know what it was like when you were there in the morning, but by mid-afternoon it had far outgrown the labyrinth of barriers designed to hold it and stretched the whole length of the station and past the Starbucks at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The queue was the same for me, but it moved pretty quickly, and the train waited for everyone, but still left about ten minutes late. Also, weirdly, only half full (maybe covid meant it couldn't be full?)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful light in those photos. (Fifth one look more like blackberries than raspberries, but that's beside the point).

    I hope your parents are doing great, especially your Mum. Have yourselves a Joyeux Noel (that's about all the French I know, by the way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Blackberries makes a lot of sense. I'll let Mum know she's your favourite. Bonnes Fêtes back!

      Delete
  3. Quelle beau couche de soleil! Glad to hear you're somewhere nice for the holidays ...

    ReplyDelete