Saturday 25 July 2020

Hellround


 Greetings beep! I am the mighty robot Maximilian, sent to Hell though a Black Hole after losing a fight to a comedy robot voiced by Roddy McDowell, there to serve as a sort of tight prison for my master, the evil Doctor Hans Reinhardt, played by German actor Maximilian Schell which is also my first name... Sorry. SPOILERS! But can you match the visions of Hell below with the big names sent there? Or name the movies. Or do whatever you want. I don't mean that aggressively, I'm just saying. Look, Simon has recorded all of Richard II now but not edited it yet, so here as every other Friday is his round of the quiz. He's not expecting you to recognise all of these big names but they are Robin Williams, Johnny Depp, Burt Reynolds, Michael Keaton, Keanu Reeves, Salvatore Papa, Olsen &Johnson, Albert Finney, Ian McKellen and Kenneth Cranham. And the answers as ever are in the comments. Enjoy tour of Hell, Figure-Outers...

1.




2.




3.
 
4.
 
5.


6.
 
7.
 
8.
 
9.
 
10.



1 comment:

  1. AND HERE ARE THE ANSWERS... 1:- Ian McKellen, tussling with a plummeting Balrog in "The Two Towers". 2:- Burt Reynolds being teased in a boat in "All Dogs Go To Heaven". 3:- Johnny Depp, stepping in for Heath Ledger in "the Imagininarium of Doctor Parnassus" every single frame of which is absolutely breathtaking, although I wouldn't neccesarily recommend viewing them all together. 4:- Salvatore Papa in 1911's "L'Inferno". I though this frame looked suitable Danté-esque to suggest an Italian star, but quite a few friends thought that this was Burt Reynolds. 5:- Abert Finney in "Scrooge", possibly my first experience of Hell on Film. I don't think this scene is too much. I love this scene and have always missed it in other adaptations. I know people argue that it completely misses the point of A Christmas Carol , but I think they're just missing the point of Hell. 6:- Robin Williams in "What Dreams May Come". 7:- I believe it's here that Kenneth Cranham bonds with a giant eighties willy in "Hellraiser 2, Hellbound". I prefer this visualisation of the demon Leviathan as an unfilmable geometric shape to the original plan of having it be a tentacled pit-dweller. This version suggests an inaccurate approximation to something the human mind just wasn't designed to see. Unlike the big eighties willy. 8:- Keanu Reeves in "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey". There is no Constantine in this round. 9:- Michael Keaton in "Beetlejuice". 10:- Olsen and Johnson will arrive any second. This is "Hellzapoppin'". I think it's superb.

    ReplyDelete