Tuesday 21 July 2020

"Grief Bounceth" - Full Shakespeare's Full Return

"What's my motivation? Is it hair?"

 Okay, that wasn't really the line: what the Duchess of Gloucester was meant to say was "Grief boundeth", but I think "bounceth" actually makes more sense as a metaphor so that's what I went for. Oh, the power! The power of doing Shakespeare all on my own. And the shouting! Doing all of the shouting on my own. Here then is episode twenty-one of "Simon Goes Full Shakespeare" in which I finally test the waters of the Histories by doing the one with the most standing around in: The Tragedy of King Richard the Second, an opaque anti-drama that still nearly managed to get its author executed for treason, but more of that later in the week.

Gemma Brockis fans might be also able to spot in this photo a Gemma Brockis.


 Maybe I'm a little too acquainted with this play (see the photo above from 1995 of me asking if Bolingbroke might have, in addition to hair, fingerless leather gloves). There were quite a few things I forget to explain in the video's introduction for example, like what a "gage" is, or "lists", but hopefully it'll still make some kind of sense. I look forward to hearing any thoughts you might have, whether you know what's coming, or have no idea. According to Simon Schama's History of Britain, Richard II introduced both the handerchief and the spoon to England. Might the play be about that? Let's see!


 

(I like that Mowbray gets played off in the middle of one of his speeches.
The fanfare was just too long so I brought it in early, but I do like it.)

2 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no idea what's coming, looking forward to finding out soon. (I hope it'll involve something just as iconic as Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?)

    ReplyDelete