Friday 19 March 2021

Sometimes this blog will just be "The Black Dog".


 Here's a good dream. There's the confidence of a lifetime's work behind it, and when it turned up on television sometime around the late nineties, it immediately became one of my favourite things a person had made. I knew nothing about the person though – Alison de Vere – and that changed little in the intervening decades. She had no channel of her own, no website, and it seemed impossible to find any pictures of her online, unless we count this. Even this was hard to find, and I don't know how long it will stay up, which is why I want to share it while I can, so – quick! – let The Black Dog's nineteen minutes leave their mark on you before they disappear. Alison de Vere died in 2001 it turns out, at the age of 73. I found her obituary this week. Everything I'd guessed about her was wrong.
 

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, what a lovely treat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating; I'd never heard of her! She sounds like a character (the best possible kind).

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, I hadn't expected this to have come out of Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete