Thursday 25 March 2021

"The Mole felt a great Awe fall upon him..."

  Ten minutes walk from Kentish Town, there are roads entirely unchaperoned by lamplight, and where there is light, there are hills, and green, and gates. I don't think of horror passing these overgrowths, I think of a kinder magic, less prevalent onscreen - something I'd hoped to see when Peter Jackson had filmed Lord of the Rings in fact, but those elves turned out more monochromatic, less folksy than I had hoped.
 
  These days, the supernatural born of the natural in British art is nearly always either twee or terrifying. In the real world however – even in NW3 – it seems easy to still encounter uncomplicated awe, a connection to something pagan but unthreatening. Suddenly on my walk, I thought of the chapter in The Wind In The Willows that could never be included in adaptation, in which Mole and Ratty encounter a vision of Pan.
 
 Here imagined by E. H. Shepard (source).
 
 I'd read that this god had a particular significance to closeted Edwardians, and wondered if the inclusion of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", as the chapter's called, was Kenneth Grahame subtly shipping his two protagonists. I resolved to see if I could find the Cosgrove Hall version when I got home: the company's original adaptation had omitted the chapter, but I remembered it getting a whole episode when they came to make the series. And I found it, and it's perfect, still one of the most startling episodes of children's television you can imagine, the answer to a prayer. All hail Pan.

2 comments:

  1. This bit was included in the 'concert' dramatisation of Wind in the Willows from 2013 ... If you have a magic BBC pass you can access it through a hidden passage here, but for the rest of us mere mortals maybe it's on the Internet Archive? Anyway, it's a sublime musical moment, and of course all the best pictures are on radio ...

    I didn't know Pan was a thing in Edwardian gay subculture. There seems to have been a certain flavour of nature-based mysticism going around at the time, which would feed neatly into that. One really has to wonder, sometimes, what might have happened culturally if so much of that generation hadn't been killed or traumatised in the trenches...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget where I read this – it was a while ago – and can now find no corroboration for it. Thanks very much for the link!

    ReplyDelete