Saturday 13 March 2021

These were the streets at 7pm on Saturday March the 13th.

 
 
 I think some hoardings have come down, because I don't remember seeing this before. Maybe it's a school. When I linked to the post from last year about the vigil for Breonna Taylor on Thursday, I hadn't realised how close we were to the anniversary of her death.
 
 It was tonight.
 
 Blackfriars Bridge has become noticeably colourful. I'm glad these new streetlights have decided to fake a little sodium gold. Skateboarders have improvised ramps on the passage up to Saint Paul's.
 
  I shared the hope felt on the night of that vigil. And while, one year later, still noone's been convicted for her shooting, I felt some of that hope realised in the confirmation of Merrick Garland as US Attorney General on Wednesday. The following day I asked a friend who lives in Richmond, among other things... I'll go and check the thread... yes, I asked "Is it too painful to report, or just too hard and useless"
 "Absolutely useless" she replied. 
 "Nothing will happen"  
 "all the policemen ive come across are disgusting"

  Here's a pawn shop with a scowling statue covered in carvings, and a full suit of armor for knight and steed. While I was taking this, the vigil for Sarah Everard was taking on a very different feel to Breonna Taylor's. But I hope real good can come yet again from what has been made visible. 
 How are you doing?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment