Sunday 14 February 2021

That Which Binds Us Through Time: The Chemic...

 
 I keep meaning to ask John Finnemore how intentionally his 2 Things To Do Before, Or After, You're 30 (above) echo the precepts of Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Theodore Ted Logan. "Be kind" and "have fun" are more actionable, but "be excellent to each other" and "party on, dudes" are the ones I've taken to heart, because I like a challenge. Actually I don't know if I do like a challenge, but I like the implication that being good might at times be challenging. How well does Ted's law equip him for growing old, for example? Two of the many joys of Bill & Ted Face The Music are seeing the duo's existence as a single unit both confirmed and dissolved. Many contrary ideas are entertained simultaneously in this film. Comedies, beautifully, can do this.
 
 
The familiar sound of trying to do everything.
 
 A few years ago, I tried to write my own story about a kind but procastinating slacker charged with saving the world, but I knew if Time Spanner ever got a series it would end with him not yet succeeding, so I never bothered to specify, or indeed work out, what the thing that might save the world would be. This is one of the reasons I was so excited to hear Bill and Ted were returning after thirty years: Maybe their writers had cracked it. Maybe they'd even come up with a third thing to do before, or after, you're thirty. I was not disappointed, and, given my hopes, that felt as miraculous as a thing could feel without becoming uncomfortable. What Bill & Ted Face The Music ends up proposing is simple and convincing, and while its final three words aren't exactly a precept, I'll probably still hold them as dear, and recommend them over even "and they lived happily ever after" as a thing to wish for.


 Oh, guys. You're welcome. That was a great journey. One of the best. Thirty years. "And it worked." Happy Love Day.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to ask John Finnemore that question too, yet I've never remembered that when in the same room as him. You have fewer excuses than me.

    I should get around to watching B&T3. I need some proper culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you know when I get an answer.

    ReplyDelete