Wednesday 24 February 2021

Bachmanday 2021

 Today this blog is fortunate enough to celebrate yet another birthday of the irreplaceable James Bachman, which the keener-sensed of you will notice I have marked this year with a video of myself. This is only because missing from last year's thanksgiving was any mention of what a generous hub James Bachman has been in my life; James Backbone, I call him. I've probably never felt more legitimately acceptible among stangers than at his birthday bashes, and the video above (filmed at the London Dungeon in 2012) is something James put up on his channel only because I was too late submitting it for inclusion in the video below, even though, obviously, the far easier course would have been not to put it up at all. Here's what I missed, featuring contributions from a murderer's row of the brightest white, male, then-mid-to-late-thirties comedy writing talent knocking around: Richard Glover, Miles Jupp, Rufus Jones, Jason Hazeley, Joel Morris, Toby Davies, Jonathan Dryden Taylor, John thingy, pretty much every name James had to plough through at the end of every episode of That Mitchell and Webb Sound. He doesn't appear himself (UPDATE: Wait, is that him as Sir Ian McKellan?), but it's a beautiful example of the funniness that could happen around and because of him. I'm very glad he's in Los Angeles, because – you know me – I'm happy when anyone's in Los Angeles, but I've also enjoyed spending today wondering what fun would be happening if he was still local.
 Many happy returns, James. I honestly appreciated being bunged on at the end of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment