Friday 5 February 2021

Someone Can Represent Something To You Without You Noticing

Bye bye, nice face man. (Source

 Tears, weirdly, on and off all evening, as soon as I found out that Christopher Plummer was dead. He seemed to be working harder and harder over the last fifteen years, was that it? He always seemed part of a team, too. This evening, I'd seen Ana de Armas sharing beautiful pictures of the two of them working together on Knives Out on instagram, but hadn't bothered to read why. Don't watch the clip below if you don't want spoilers, but know it's one of the first three things I think of now when I think of Christopher Plummer.
 

 An actor is said to "hold their own" when sharing a screen with a legend like him, as if acting is a zero sum game of attention, which for some actors I suppose it is, but not Plummer. Nobody's good on their own, and I've seen Verne Troyer "hold his own" with Plummer. I can think of no other film star over eighty so regularly – and successfully – employed to show love towards those he played opposite. He might prove irreplaceable. 
 This is the second thing I think of when I think of Christopher Plummer: my DVD of Beginners.
 
 
 I'm not scared of dying, I don't think, and I'm not scared of aging. But I am scared getting older will make be me crueller and more dull. It's harder to meet different people when you're older – not just new people, different people, which, I think, keeps you kind. But in his final years, there's nowhere Christopher Plummer looked out of place. So this might be what he represents. He reminds me that I chose to be an actor, and he reminds me why. Because I thought it might be a way to see the world, and a way to stay young. 
 We'll see.
 This is the third thing I think of:
 

The actual Imaganarium of Dr. Parnassus, whose full build you can see documented here

2 comments:

  1. Watched Knives Out just a week ago and he was absolutely magnificent in it. Such a terrible shame.

    ReplyDelete