Sunday 21 February 2021

Incontrovertible Evidence That Nobody Is Boring

 "I am very interested in lifts. I love original old relay logic lifts, especially the very advanced relay systems which can contain hundreds of relays"  – from the introduction to Beno's youtube channel.

 
 Little now remains of Robert Popper's blog post from 2010 which first introduced me to "Benobve" as he was then – "EXCLUSIVE: Sneak preview of Pixar's next movie" – but a process of elimination has led me to conclude that the video above is the one he was talking about: "The premise: a man (I think it’s a man) gets in a lift*. He/she goes up in the lift, then down in the lift, then, well I wouldn’t want to spoil the ending for you… Oh Benobve, I think I love you." It's something of a departure for Beno, whose other output at the time – about which Robert Popper was equally enthusiastic – looks a lot more verité, being, almost exclusively, live-action, often narrationless footage of real lift journeys such as this:
 

 Moved by Popper's enthusiasm for Beno's enthusiasm, I had subscribed to his channel back in 2010, but years would pass before I bothered to check in again, and when I did, I was surprised to see that his videos now came with a disclaimer not to copy what he was doing. This is how I learnt that Beno's undiminished love of lifts, in these intervening years, had grown now to incorporate an enthusiam for their exteriors, and for what lay at their top. Beno wasn't just riding in lifts now, he was hacking them. He was riding their rooves. He was recording something glorious and straight out of Judge Dredd, like the adventure below (referenced in my first zoom quiz). 
 I'd love to know if Robert Popper knows what Beno's up to these days. I hope he wouldn't be disappointed.
 
 
 "All of the activity in my videos is completely legal, I have checked this with my lawyers. I know the law and I do not break laws with my videos" – again, from the introduction to Beno's youtube channel.
 
 There's another fun old Beno blog recommendation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment