Saturday 6 February 2021

Untitled "Jaws" parody by Simon, aged 6

 Or maybe seven. That's my excuse for the "you're"/"your" confusion. The first page is missing, as you can see, so I don't know now what pun on Jaws I used as a title. The layout's based on paperback reprints of EC's "Mad" which we had around the house, as are some of the panels:
 
  Characters in Mad parodies would occasionally break character to ask "How's your mom, Ed?" I didn't know why*, but it hopefully explains some of what follows. I hadn't seen Jaws, obviously, but I assumed the film followed the plot of King Kong, which Mad had also parodied, (source):

 
 I didn't follow the plot of King Kong either though, because I was six. Clearly I stuff every frame with as much extraneous detail as my felt tips would let me, in the Mad style, but the way I depict things emerging from the water is actually quite minimalist and, I'd even go so far as to say, elegant. I'm pleased. Minimalism and elegance were big in 1980, as were were sharks. I remember, I had a big book that taught me how to draw "sea monsters" in four steps. A shark was a cone with two eyes and gills. It's all coming back now.
 This is too long an introduction for what follows though. Sorry.
 
 
 Did you guess the twist?!

2 comments:

  1. Fab. Best I could do at that age (also much, much later) were stick figures, although I vaguely remember drawing the same figure multiple times across the same sheet of paper/background to depict a sequence of events, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until you see "Pooper Man". I'm fascinated by what we make up before we've picked up the rules. I wish I had more.

    ReplyDelete