Wednesday 9 December 2020

New Things To Do With A Face, from Charlie Chaplin and Ralph Fiennes.

 



 
 Charlie goes Gorgona
 
 Following on from his unsettling teeth-baring in Lucy's Complex Dilemma here's Chaplin doing something a little more heightened, as a man who thinks he's been poisoned in Cruel, Cruel Love. I'm catching up with more of his earliest work over on David Cairns' blog where you can see this film in full, and I've also finally got round to replacing the battery in this laptop, so for anyone wanting to see more of my face, hopefully the old version of iMovie I was using to edit Simon Goes Full Shakespeare won't instantly overheat now every time I open it. If you're looking for some Shakespeare in the meantime I keenly recommend Ralph Fiennes' film of Coriolanus that's currently on iplayer, detailing events in the history of Rome which precede both Titus Andronicus and Julius Caesar, but shot in modern so you can tell why what's going on might actually matter. It's confident, credible and clear as a bell, and quite unlike the far more shouting-in-long-leather-coaty Coriolanus I saw Ralph Fiennes perform in a decade earlier. It was the very first time I'd ever seen him jut out his jaw – hitherto always shily sheltering hiding behind his stiff upper lip – and give lines like "Ge-heh-heh-het ye gone, you fragments!" a frankly distracting ring of Leonard Rossiter. I'm pretty sure Peter Serafinowicz must have seen it too.


And how perfectly pitched is Belinda S-W's discomfort in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment