Thursday 31 December 2020

THE YEAR IN REHASH: OCTOBER - Just Passing Through (More Ghosts)


 
 Beginning to wind up this review of my favourite or at least more conspicuous posts from the last twelve months, this post from October is entirely about stuff from January (including another plug for my Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman essay) but I really enjoyed writing about this job. I have only one wince of regret, which I didn't mention before, and that's the lack of preparation I put into the shot where I return to my seat after making peace with Pat. Every time I see it I wish I'd entered looking more rattled, smiling with relief only as I turn to the window and realise closure's finally been achieved.
 
 As long-term readers of this blog will know, I maybe don't have that much experience of actual closure, so what do I know, but this just looks to me just like someone very happy with their new kitchen. That's my problem though. What a job. What a show. What a team! From October the 29th...



  This, gloriously, is the scene we filmed the day Terry Jones died. I can't think of a better way to honour the man's memory. The blow that initiates the cacophony was achieved by digitally removing Jim Howick's fist as it nears my body so it looks like it's passing through. We're not as close to each other in the still below as it looks, in other words, there's a false perspective or something, I think that's how it was done anyway, it's... Does that look right? It was back in January, I've no idea now. Welcome to Behind The Scene with Kieth Darren Dean! 
 
  I definitely remember that when I walked through Jim in the next scene, after leaving the stump, I passed him on the right and this was then digitally shunted to the left to overlap him, but you probably guessed it was something like that. There was a green screen set up outside the house. The weather was perfectly overcast, although there was no snow. It looked like this. That's frost on the ground.
 

 The frost disappeared as the day wore on, and the sky was perfectly overcast for the effects shot I enjoyed filming most which had nothing to do with passing through anything. That beautiful picture-book longshot of Keith and the Ghosts standing like transfers in a field was a composite. Lots of little shots put together. Here is a photo director Tom Kingsley posted of its filming:
 
 Spot the chancer on the far right. 
 Each of us ("us" - Get me!) had to walk up the strip of white plastic alone, pause at the end, then walk back in front of everyone else without giggling, like a shy fashion show. It was in its way the silliest thing I witnessed all week and I felt blessed to have a seat at it. Actually, it wasn't so much like a catwalk I now realise, it felt more like - Have you seen The Ususal Suspects? 
 
 (Trigger Warning:Spacey. Rudness.)
 
 Here is that episode. 
 And in other notices, continuing the Hallowee’en Countdown through Universal’s Frankensteins, here is the one instance of proper scholarlship I managed in the entire run - a piece of sleuthing that will change the way you watch 1943′s Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man FOREVER!

3 comments:

  1. You know, I have been wondering what was Keith's motivation for showing up at the wedding at all, especially in that kind of weather - if he's not a close friend of Clare's, then why would he willingly go through reliving what I can only imagine is (one of) the most traumatic moment(s) in his entire life? Unless - and I have to admit I hadn't considered it before - the entire point of him being there is that he was in fact hoping he might get some closure this way. That makes a lot more sense, actually, now that I think about it.

    As a member of the audience (though, admittedly, not a particularly reliable one, even more so when it comes to deciphering the characters' emotions/feelings) I'd say the scene in which Keith returns to his seats works perfectly the way it was shot, particularly coming after the emotional moment in the snow (again, from the point of view of the audience, at any rate - as Keith was in no way aware of Pat standing right there beside him, and eventually getting his own closure). In my head, Keith would have got his moment of closure as he was standing near the tree stump, only coming inside once he was ready to let go of the burden of his past - but as I mentioned before, what do I know. Still works beautifully, that's what I'm saying.

    (I just wanted to add, and I wish I knew how to make it sound less weird, but spending the better part of the 2020 hoping that this was what your January posts were about and that you might actually turn up in Ghosts has been one of the highlights of this hell year; second only to watching the show itself, in point of fact, so thank you - as well as the writing team, obviously - for that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Given the talent in charge of the story-telling I've no doubt it works perfectly, which is why I didn't say anything back in October; it just seemed churlish. But still. I think if Keith did know he'd been to Button House before, hoping for closuer would definitely have been a motivation behind his turning up. I'm not sure if he did know though. But knowing how much the Finnemoriat loved Ghosts made a very happy job even happier, so you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually hadn't thought about that. I can't imagine how he managed not to get into a panic, if he only realised once he was already there.

    (Incidentally, it's a bit of a shame that Tom Kingsley won't be directing series 3, but we can only be grateful for his wonderful work on series 1 and 2. And here's to hoping Lawry gets his own cameo at some point in the future, too.)

    ReplyDelete